Twilight is Better!

July 7th, 2010

Twilight or Harry Potter? Justin Bieber or the Jonas Brothers? Chocolate Milk or Strawberry Milk? Peppermint or Spearmint gum? Team Jacob or Team Edward? iCarly or Hannah Montana? What are your answers?

Honestly, I don’t care.

Things I have watched people argue over. Literally. Argue. “TWILIGHT WINS!” “HARRY POTTER IS THE BEST!”

The catch? The answers to these questions are ALL opinions. Every person’s answers to those questions will be different. In most cases, I will say “neither.” I don’t care about most  of them. I haven’t read or seen Twilight or Harry Potter. I don’t listen to Justin Bieber or the Jonas Brothers. Because I don’t read or watch Twilight, I am not on a “team” — and iCarly wins with me. But don’t tell anyone.

I had someone DM me about an argument over I believe Harry Potter vs. Twilight. She was asking if it was wrong for someone to argue about it. My answer: Absolutely, YES.

I laugh at people who say “YOU’RE WRONG!” when referring to something that… wait for it…. wait for it…. IS AN OPINIOOOOON! How can one be wrong about his or her own opinion? And why do people argue over opinions? Even if you talk yourself into a parrot, in the end, you will still have your opinion and they are going to have theirs. You can’t very easily change an opinion. Facts are an entirely different story. But opinions, “this or that?” — TOTALLY up to each person individually.

Because I <3 her, here is a link to a girl’s Youtube video, in which she talks about having opinions on things. It’s a little long, but just watch it:

Don’t argue with people about opinions. It’s as useful as worrying. I always quote the “song” Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen) when worrying comes up. It’s as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. Here is a link to that… I love it:

Ya know, arguing in itself is useless. There are ways to talk out anything without arguing. I know this is a short blog, but really, what more is there to say… My opinions are mine, your opinions are yours.

Have an amazing evening.

<3.

6 Responses to “Twilight is Better!”

1. astonwest on July 7, 2010 5:29 pm

That’s okay…everyone knows that Aston West beats both Twilight and Harry Potter, hands down. See, no argument! đŸ˜›

2. Cassidy on July 7, 2010 5:37 pm

You’re right. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. ^^ it depends on the person you’re telling to how they’ll deal with it. Some are mature enough to understand and some would argue back to defend their opinion. ^^

I love your blogs. Though this is my 1st time commenting. I love how you’re bold and true to yourself. ^^

I’ll be waiting for your next one! ^^

3. Bella1951 on July 8, 2010 2:35 pm

Very good entry, and I completely agree with everything that you’ve said here.

As far as I’m concerned, there is nothing more irritating than having somebody scream at you that something is or is not wonderful when you couldn’t care less. I have a neighbour who is convinced that Ke$ha is God’s gift to mankind, and has spent months attempting to explain to me that I should stop listening to Alice Cooper and The Runaways and start listening to her. She’s only eleven, so maybe she’ll mature?

What’s just as annoying is when people have opinions on things that they know nothing about. The same girl told me that the movie Psycho was stupid because she had never heard of it.

Thanks for posting the link to my video and have a great day!

4. Travistico on July 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Hey Munkie,

First off I must say, I view you as a down to earth person so i’ll give my down to earth perspective on this blog post. Also i’d like to note my response is extremly biased to the point where it may actually make sense (I have to be because it directly deals with what I do).

Munkie I agree with you.. most of what people have to say about things like this (including mine and yours) are opinions. Your opinion on the subject is given in this blog post.. but what is important here to me is the reasoning behind the opinion. One could have an opinion about many things in life such as whom is stronger, smarter, etc etc. Devoid of math.. much of what we do say is a matter of opinion.

However when people engage in these conversations, I propose that they build upon thier ability to weigh their options. So one can argue about the why Team jacob may be better than team edward, If Teen girls are really too obsesed with justin beiber, Or why the black Teletubbies don’t sell in stores. What is the diffrence?

(IMHO) I think the main diffrence is if people are willing to “argue” about them or not. If peolpe are willing to “argue” about somthing then it matters just as much as the next (some people may be able to convince you that thier conversation matters more).

The only other thing that could affect the importance of that conversation.. is how much it will affect you. Sure big layoffs at a fortune 500 company may seem more important than justin beiber’s shade color, but does it matter to the kids that are entertained by him?.. what about a 5% Tax increase for all home owners in the U.S? Could the homeless in india care less? There is always a scope of audience that is affected. I’m not saying all of these debates have equal importance, just that you need to have things of lesser importance to have ones with greater. So there is balance. If we all only talked about the things of greatest importance i’m sure many could’nt keep intrest in the subject to make quality contributions.

I would agree that I don’t care too much about those controversies you mentioned (although the consensus undoubtly matters to many). I belive that they have thier place in building the capabilities of the people whom engage in the conversation. So today it may be whether Splice the movie is going oveboard, if twitter and SMS is destorying grammar, Or if the Ipad is worth the cash. Tommrow it may be if the second draft of the patriot act goes too far (I think the first one did), if opportunity in the U.S is as good as it once was, and whether you should be paying for the BP spill or not.

At some point or another we will get emotionally involed enough to participate in a controversy. I find it’s all about maturing your opinion, and reasoning so that you may be more convincing when it comes down to making a case for somthing you desperatly belive in (like I’m trying to do right now XD ).

5. Jackie on July 20, 2010 3:21 pm

twitter username: @jacquelinetaylr
    i totally agree!! that is all.

6. Security Light  on October 19, 2010 2:05 am

Jonas Brothers and Moffats sort of sounds the same`:.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS