Three Things

July 20th, 2010

I have a friend named John. John and I have been friends for a decade. We met in high school. Yes, I am aware that telling you that information “dates” me. And yes, I am older than 20. A lot of the people who follow me on Twitter assume I am somewhere in the 19-20 range. Do I not come off as a little more mature, a little more wise than that? (No offense, teenagers.) Anyway, I am rambling. How I met John…

I walked into Health class on my first day at a new school. I was seated behind a funny, curly-haired boy. I soon learned his name was John. I could go into detail about the people around me, but they are not important to this story, nor is John really the focus of this blog. But John is a dear friend of mine, and gave me an idea for my blog. Health class was not very interesting to me. I don’t remember a thing my teacher said. But what 16 year old girl has her mind on the workings of the human body outside of that adorable guy who sat next to her in English? … No, I am not talking about John. And no, Steve, I am not talking about you, either.

On with my story. John invited me to his youth group. He also invited me to meet some friends of his. Those are some of the best friends I have ever had. I don’t really remember how I met all of them. What I do remember? “My tummy is making funny noises…” “Cam, that was the clock.” (I know one or two of you laughed at that. I hope John, Cam and Abby read this. I <3 you guys.) ANYWAY, sorry, went off on an inside joke spree. I get distracted. Back to what I came here to tell you.

My point: John became a good friend of mine. We spent hours upon hours talking, eating my dad’s AMAZING pizza (Dad, make that for me sometime?), watching movies with friends, playing “F-Ball” on the trampoline with “the crew” …. Throwing food at geese…. You could say John became one of my best friends over the years. We know one another well. Yet, there are a million things that even we, as good friends, don’t know about one another.

One night we were talking on an instant messenger. He said, “Let’s play a game. Tell me 3 things about you.” I answered with, “Ummm… what do you not know?” He said, “No no, tell me 3 things about you. The only rule is, they have to be true. It doesn’t matter if I already know them.” We sat there talking about ourselves and surprisingly, learning a lot about the other.

Most of you Twitter folk have seen me say, “Tell me 3 things about you.” It’s the same concept. I do it all the time. I love learning about people. It’s that weird fascination I have with the human mind. What I don’t do often enough is tell you 3 things about me. I thought that since most of you don’t know a whole lot about me, I should share 3 things about me. Some of you might know these things. That’s okay.

Number 1: I am obsessed with handwriting. Especially my own. If I am writing something and I don’t like the way my handwriting looks, I will start over. Yes, even handwritten letters. I don’t write letters enough. I need to start doing that again.

Number 2: My favorite food is Mexican. Real Mexican. Taco Bell does not pass the test. I have to be pretty desperate to eat that. Not even joking, I could eat chips and salsa every day. I had some today, in fact, from my favorite local Mexican restaurant. It was delicious.

Number 3: I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters. All of which I “aaaabsoluuuutely adoooore…” (Yes, Shannon, I threw that in for you.) No, I really do adore my siblings. I cannot imagine life without them. Getting together with all of them at the same time is honestly better than getting together with friends. When we were younger, we didn’t always get along, but as we got older, we have all gotten closer. Maybe I will share with you sometime why I love each of them.

Those are my 3 things. I might make this a regular thing. We will see. For now, tell me 3 things about you.

<3.

8 Responses to “Three Things”

1. Dr. Shawn on July 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Twittername: DrShawn2ThePhD
    Three things about me.
    1. I taught HS Band for 3 years and taught his school Math, English and Lit for 2 years before becoming a CPS Director and then Ph.D

2. Im gay and have been with my partner for 12 years.

3. We have 7 adopted children who we couldn’t love more if we had to. All encompassing love.

🙂

2. Shannon Smith on July 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks for the shout out, Munkie!

Three things – I suppose I should keep this going.

1. I deeply care about people, more than I do myself most of the time. I am extremely introverted, but other people’s feelings mean a lot to me. Human suffering in any way, shape, or form really bothers me.

2. I picked the career path I did because music has a way of expressing everything my heart feels – since I can’t always put that into words. Sharing those feelings with other people? Spectacular.

3. A lighter one. I. love. ice cream.

The end!

3. Dave P. on July 21, 2010 10:03 am

@MVNUSID

Thanks for sharing…I always enjoy learning more about people. Here’s 3 things about me:

1. Got my driver’s permit on Friday the 13th and my license on April Fool’s Day. Wanna go for a ride? 🙂

2. I’ve been to a Major League Baseball game in every city except Boston and Miami and Boston will come off the list in early August. It’s been a fun way to see all the big cities.

3. I really enjoy getting to know total strangers and listening to their stories. I find it entertaining that I can usually come across someone I know on just about any trip I take across the country because of this.

4. Cassidy on July 21, 2010 3:06 pm

@DepressLovePoet

Cool. Now I know 3 things about you. ^_^

3 things about me:

1. I enjoy writing poetry. It’s my way of expressing my feelings.

2. I would love to learn as many languages as I can. Right now I am learning how to understand Korean & Japanese because, I already know how to read and write but I cant understand. I know, weird. T_T ^_^

3. I hate my life on daily basis but in general I am enjoying it. I love my life and how I live it but everyday seems to be a burden to me. I cant understand it but that’s one thing even I cant understand about me. If you got something to say about it, I would very much appreciate it! (>W<)

from one of your fans,
    Cassidy

5. Jo on July 22, 2010 6:02 am

3 things about me:

1. If I didn’t have to work, I would sew quilts every day.

2. I have a blended family.

3. We will celebrate our 23rd anniversary in September.

There, now you know. Thanks for writing your babble *Munkie*. I absolutly look forward to it. Remember, I gave you a challenge. You said you love a challenge.

6. Meghan on July 22, 2010 12:30 pm

1. My favorite color is pink and I am a mommy’s girl in every sense of the word (or words). She is my best friend!

2. I have a deep passion for working with and helping others, because I feel like even if I can’t help myself, helping others makes up for it. It truely is amazing what a smile can do!!

3. I have a phobia of belly buttons. Yes, belly buttons..do not touch mine, don’t touch yours, don’t make me touch yours…no belly buttons!!!

7. Bella1951 on July 22, 2010 7:51 pm

1. When I am looking for something, I have a habit of wandering aimlessly around the room, wiggling my fingers as though hoping that whatever I happen to be looking for will just magically fly into my hands. I had no idea that I did this or how stupid it looked until a friend pointed it out to me.

2. I am the only child in my family who is not named after another family member. While my siblings (I also have two sisters and two brothers!) were named for grandparents, I was named after a character in a book. I would be interested in reading this book, only my mother can’t remember the title.

3. I know more than any sane person should about poison ivy. At ten years old, I got into an argument with a neighbour about whether or not a certain plant was poison ivy. I then made it my life’s purpose to learn everything about the plant. By age twelve, I gave an hour long lecture about the stuff to a university professor. He was suitably impressed.

8. fa3ryg1rl on July 27, 2010 1:23 pm

I love reading your blogs. I have done the 3 things thing before but I’ll play again.

1. I have a dizzy/vertigo health issue and I can’t work or drive (for 6 years) but I have learned to enjoy the small day to day things.

2. I am a huge fan of David Archuleta and I help run a fansite for him and it gives me a sense of accomplishment since I can’t work at a “regular” job.

3. I’m a mom of 2 wonderful kids. I have a 10 y/o daughter and an 11 son that has Autism. I love them more than anything. <3

Trackback URI | Comments RSS